Saturday, July 14, 2007

Five Good Minutes with Shan Foster








(Foster, #33, going hard to the hoop)

The amiable small forward took some time after this morning’s practice to sit down and discuss the Trials, Vandy basketball and his former POY teammate Derrick Byars.

While he hasn’t attained masterlock status like PG Drew Neitzel and C Roy Hibbert, Foster is a real possibility to play the three. Oregon SG/SF Bryce Taylor, NC State SF Brandon Costner and LSU SF Tasmin Mitchell are competing with him for the committee’s love.

“I just think I gotta keep doing what I’m doing, you know. Just making sure that I’m shooting the ball – and probably taking care of the ball a little bit more,” said Foster about his chances. “But really it’s about shooting the ball and continuing to show that I can shoot it while also playing good defense.”

Shooting is one thing Foster has done plenty of in two and a half days. His trigger-happy mentality is indigenous to VU Commodore basketball. 2006-2007 SEC Player of the Year and teammate Derrick Byars combined with Foster to attempt almost 900 field goals last year. That’s almost 26 field goals per game just from this pair who both qualify as guard/forward hybrids. “We pretty much play the same position, me and Derrick,” said Shan (pronounced Shane). “Derrick is probably more versatile than I am in that he can play the 1 through 4. But for the most part we both go out there on the wing and do the best we can.”

After drilling a three from the wing, Foster came back on the next possession to the same area of the floor with time running low. As the clock ticked down under ten seconds, he elevated higher than the two defenders in his face to sink a buzzer-beating 3. “I was just trying to get an angle to get my shot off,” Foster noted. He matter-of-factly added, “if I get it off, I have a shot at making it.” It was the shot of the day.

Beyond that highlight fadeaway three, his jumper has stood out from the rest of the field since arriving for both its success rate and its appearance. When shooting, Foster springs off the floor and cocks his wrist back, letting the ball float out of his hand high into the air. He attributes the rain-making, slightly awkward high arch to his basketball upbringing. “I played center all the way up until I got to Vanderbilt. When I got to Vandy it was my first time really playing guard. I had a lot to learn – still working on ball handling, things of that sort, trying to do the best I can and really be a guard.”

Foster has one more opportunity to prove his full array of skills when the Trials resume at 5 PM, and maybe only one more chance to play with so many other talented guys. When asked who he’d like to transport with him back to Vandy, Foster mentioned Neitzel, PG Mario Chalmers and PF D.J. White. “D.J. White! Wooo – if I could play with D.J. life would be wonderful.”




















(Foster after last night's practice sporting the ice bags on both knees)

No comments: